Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Takes a Bit of Luck

Takes a Bit of Luck

I am rereading Terry Brooks terrific writing book, Sometimes the Magic Works. 

When I first came across this book I was not a fantasy fan, not that I didn’t like it, I just didn’t read it. I had read the Harry Potter Books that were in print at the time, the first three. I had students tell me how great Brooks writing was and that I just had to read, The Sword of Shannara.  I did read it after being impressed with his writing book, and then read his trilogy, Magic Kingdom for Sale.
View from the Castle in my Magic Kingdom - very nice

So what is this post all about? Luck! Yes, luck. Brooks relates that author Elizabeth Engstrom gave a talk where she says the number one factor as to whether an aspiring writer will get published is luck.

I might add that it needs to be good also. I often come across books that I think are very good but they don’t sell. Are my tastes that different than everyone else reading in that genre? I don’t think so. But luck may have played a role. We all have read stories telling how persistence, query, and query some more, can be important to getting published.


To go the traditional route in publishing today is slow and tough. But a few will make it, make it if they get just a bit of luck to get started.
One of my favorite spots in the park

1 comment:

Oscar Case said...

Like you said, Luck and a good book.
Nice photo.