Monday, January 6, 2014

A Western For Everyone


Much like the murder mysteries I also love, you can be certain that one thing will happen in a traditional western novel, someone will wind up dead and someone is going to pay.

Many of today’s best sellers are based on social problems, relationships, sex, stress of work and daily lives. Readers like this type of material as best seller lists will prove. But traditional western readers, like me, probably would have a tough time reading a western based on working too hard and trying to buy better things than the neighbors.

But one of the things that make the genre so special is that there is room for almost anything in westerns. Romance, mystery, sci-fi, steampunk, fantasy, historical and shoot-em-ups all have a place on the western shelf. I have read some western-science fiction, many historical, one steampunk, a western fantasy or two and yes, a few that were classified as western romance, but I still like the shoot-em-ups best.

My personal choice in westerns – something with a good mystery element, set in mountain man or cattle drives, now that’s some fine reading.

-And On Another Note-

Just finished reading Lawrence Block’s, The Burglar Who Counted Spoons, I am a huge Block fan and this was another terrific book in the series. He is my favorite mystery writer, great stories, told with humor and remarkable writer imagination.

Just started Richard S. Wheeler’s, An Accidental Novelist - A Literary Memoir, this is a must read, can’t put it down.

2 comments:

Albie The Good said...

I'm with you, brother... my favorites-- with a couple exceptions like THE LITTLE HOUSE books and the early pioneering works of TWAIN, HARTE, LONDON, S.E. WHITE and O. HENRY [although the last guy could BE classified as a "shoot em up" writer actually] I tend to gravitate toward what folks always call [sometimes snobbishly] the "genre western".

Hey, what can I say?? Its a purely American art form and it still stands up! Let the critics be danged! LOL

Good post as usual, brother!

Neil A. Waring said...

Thanks, Albie for the kind words. I still think there is a western for everyone.