Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Expand and Cut

Funny how long rewrites can take. I am on my third trip through my recently completed novel. First draft was a little over 60,000 words now it is up over eighty and I am trying Stephen King’s idea of cutting ten percent. Not sure I am ever going to like it enough to try to publish. Afraid I may be a bit scared of getting the dreaded rejections and a western novel is not the hottest genre out there right now.
I try to write a Christmas story every year so that will be taking my writing time for the next few days. I have an idea so it should be easy to get started. I have also completed my annual, much anticipated Christmas letter (once again fun and very tongue in cheek).
Time to get back to the re-write.

4 comments:

Seriously Though said...

Thanks for the comment! I didn't know you had these other blogs, too. I have started a lot of novels but I have never finished one. :( too lazy and short attention span

Oscar Case said...

I wouldn't worry about a rejection. It's too damn common. Just send your book to a publisher who takes westerns and see what happens.

Rick Watson said...

Rejection can be fun! Paper airplanes, bird cage liner, to name just a few. I have quite a collection of rejections.
My wife and I are songwriters too so we have rejections from that too.
I'm thinking about wallpapering my office with them.
The road is long and you can't win the race if you don't run.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

If you can get that western down to around 45,000 words you could always try Robert Hale who actually publish more westerns than anyone else.