Sunday, March 22, 2015

Why We all Hate Commas

 Using commas, oh my.

I read today that writers do not use nearly as many commas as were used in 1900. I remember being taught that if you forgot all the rules, which most of us have, to place a comma whenever you hear a pause. Today this seems to be a little used and mostly forgotten comma lesson. Why? Because that leaves too many of the dreaded comma’s. There is a relationship between pauses and commas, but it is not strong enough to always use a comma for a pause.

Best advice I read on commas is that if you are not sure leave it out. Now that’s pretty good.


I am reading a new grammar book taking a look at how comma use has changed. Hope it helps. My undergraduate minor was in American Literature nowadays I wish it would have been in English.

 Not really.

My photo of the day
Relaxing this evening in the beautiful North Bluff Castle at Guernsey State Park


2 comments:

Oscar Case said...

In the Chicago Manual of Style there were 37 different uses for the comma. No wonder it's confusing.

Neil A. Waring said...

I have been crazy enough to look at those too.