Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Anton Chekhov and Reviews

I read quite a few writing/writer blogs and very often will buy at least one book by the blogger. Before I purchase I take a look at the reviews on Amazon and most often it is the same, everything from one star to five. Several one star reviews I read recently were about the delivery of the book, not being in a timely matter. Not sure that helps or hurts the author. As far as reviewer’s go it seems there are two types, people like me, that do not post a review unless I can give it four or five stars and the dreaded reviewers that love handing out one star. Like many people, I’m sure, I often click on one star reviewers to look at some of their other reviews, and more often than not they are all negative.

I like real reviews and look for blogs or web pages that review books with some real thought and insight into both the book and the author. I know that many writers are downcast when someone writes a negative review, but remember when our old high school teachers told us too - consider the source?

I have three books that I will release within the next few weeks and already worry about getting a bad review – if and when I get any reviews at all. Every writer that has ever worried about a review would do well to remember one of my favorites, Anton Chekhov and what he thought of book reviews.


 “I’ve been reading reviews of my stories for twenty-five years, and can’t remember a single useful point in any of them, or the slightest good advice.”
—Anton Chekhov
My Place to Relax

2 comments:

Oscar Case said...

There you go, Neil. Just think about Chekhov when you get a bad review. I'm always grateful when someone gives me a review, good or bad. At least someone is reading it.

Neil A. Waring said...

Good advice Oscar