Saturday, July 19, 2014

5 Reasons I Don't Write Much In The Summer


Not sure I like doing much serious writing in the summer. I do keep up, barely, with my numerous blogs, https://plus.google.com/+NeilWaring/posts?hl=en, but little else. I am still editing and re-editing my book on the Civilian Conservation Corps and adding some information I stumbled on after the first draft. It might have been the second draft I can’t remember, its summer.


I do have a fiction book ready to go but have not settled on a cover yet. Other than that I am nearing completion on a long story, not sure it is long enough to be a novella. It is Young Adult and about 10,000 words. My nine year old grandson has helped me with this, reading each day whatever I have completed.
I realize that so many writing experts say to not let a reader have it until it is ready, but this seems to be fun for both of us.




So, how do I spend my summers? Gardening,
 


playing golf, hiking in our wonderful state park, and reading in the evening
 http://visitguernseystatepark.blogspot.com/

After much time and effort, about three minutes worth, I have identified why I am not a productive writer in the summer.

1.  I love basking in the sun, sitting on our deck.

More than 30 years of teaching kids to play. Part of this years bunch.
2.  Playing golf five days, or so, a week takes some time.

3.  Digging in the dirt is fun and rewarding – I have a passion for gardening.

4.  Grandkids, we love having them here, makes us feel young.

5.  All the great summer events, from speakers to concerts, fairs and great summer get-to-gathers.

6.  I’m retired, I don’t have to do anything if I don’t want to.

I know, I know, my list has six instead of five but remember, I’m retired, I don’t do much, and I only count what I want to.

I love summer, but don’t get much writing done.

1 comment:

Oscar Case said...

Such distractions shouldn't be allowed. Writers are locked up in their little rooms with a typewriter or notepad or computer or tablet or something and have no time for such serious distractions as family and fun. Uh-huh, uh-huh.