Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Writing, Reading, and the Distractions of Summer

Spring seemed quick, we are now into some summer-like temperatures, and it feels wonderful - until it gets too hot.

Yard Work - At one time, not so long ago, I enjoyed mowing and trimming the lawn. The lawn care only took a few hours a week, not much, but now I look at mowing as a chore that has to be done more than something I really like. In that vein, we do have some nice flowers started to show off in the yard, and that I like.

Writing Outside - I am writing churning along at five to seven hundred words a day. Right now I am doing most of my writing sitting outside on our deck. Writing outside can be a bit of a distraction watching birds at the feeder and the squirrels arriving to get their share. Living in a military town I also like to watch the helicopters, C-17s, and 
C-130s, as they circle practicing touch and goes and helicopters practice their version of the bucket brigade, for the fire season in the west.

Book Sales – My KDP pages read are way down, sales of both eBooks and soft cover books are down some but not nearly as much as the pages read has dropped. Not sure why thinks have tumbled so far on the financial side of my writing, I can only speculate.

10 Reasons Book Sales are down – My best guess

1.     People are spending all their free time mowing and trimming their lawns leaving no time to read.
2.     Fishing is picking up
3.     It is the start of picnic time
4.     School is out and adults, along with their kids, decide they will play video games on their phones instead of reading during their summer off.
5.     Too many baseball games to watch and not enough time
6.     Readers are turning to, summer romance on the beach books, instead of what they normally read
7.     Invaders from another galaxy have entered reader’s brains, and have them reading endless political and royal wedding articles online.
8.     Sunstroke
9.     Everyone has decided to reread old books
10.   Summer reruns have started on television and are too captivating to miss.


What Am I Reading? Mountains and Molehills, by Frank Marryat. I am also beta reading a book, far out of my normal genre, for an indie-author, so far it has been a fun read.


Enjoy the rest of the week, and please, keep on reading, even if the yard is calling.

No comments: