Sunday, November 23, 2014

Writing Tips - I Don't Have Any


Like so many of us that find great joy in scribbling down a few words I find reading writing books and tips interesting.

I stay away from ever giving tips as I really don’t have any but I sure do read a lot of others. Have you ever noticed that if you don’t like one writer’s expertise on how to write you can simply turn to another, and then another if need be, until you find one that writes the way you do? Things like, write what you know, or never edit as you write a first draft come to mind. I remember reading somewhere that if we write only what we knew there might not be so many murder mysteries for sale. Hemmingway re-read and edited each morning before he started writing again for the day, seems like it worked for him.

So where am I going with this? The one thing that all writing experts seem to agree on – writers need to write. Pretty simple, writers sit down and get to work, might do it many different ways and at different times but they all write. Me, I dream about writing, and think about writing, and sometimes I get around to writing.

Snow Clouds Roll in over Guernsey Lake
Guess it’s time to sit down and write.

Wish I had a poem for the winter sky last evening.

 

 

 

2 comments:

Oscar Case said...

You're right about that. If you don't write it, it doesn't get written. Fantastic photo, Neil.

Neil A. Waring said...

Thanks Oscar
Seems I don't get enough setting and writing time, need to work on it. We do get some interesting sky in Wyoming.