Maybe that's the best part of going away for a vacation-coming home again.” ― Madeleine L'Engle, Meet the Austins
|The North Platte River a few blocks from HOME|
It is always nice to be back home. For me, two weeks away is too much. I love to see and experience new places, always learn a lot. But am always ready to get back home usually after a few days.
Have you ever noticed how plain things around you are? Then you go away and come back, and everything looks extraordinary. If for no other reason that is a good argument to take a vacation. We didn’t go far, not by today’s standards, but for us quite a trip.
The highlights? The Vicksburg Mississippi Battlefield National Park, and a riverboat ride in Branson Missouri.
|Southern Cemetery at Vicksburg - sobering|
Questions I would like answered from my trip.
1. Are there any live armadillos? I sure saw a lot of road killed ones. I have a theory that all armadillos are dead and there are no live ones, not sure but could be – maybe not.
2. Are speed limits just a suggestion? Sure seems that way.
3. Does Louisiana have more trees per acre than any other state?
-New to me, food, on this trip-
1. Jambalaya – not bad, surprised me, I kind of liked it
2. Southern Blackened Chicken – too hot for this ol’ Cowboy
3. *Arbuckle Fried Pies at Turner Falls, Oklahoma – now we’re talking, very good
The red beans and rice with cornbread - good both times I tried it, as always.
*Not my first rodeo here, love this place.
Well there it is, my vacation report – Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Oklahoma. Now its home until February.
|The sun sets over the Mississippi River at Vicksburg|
“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” ― William Faulkner