Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Canvas of Our Time


Although there are quite a few western writers whose stories I enjoy as much or more than Louis L’Amour, his, Education of a Wandering Man, is one of my favorite books regardless of genre.

My favorite quote from the book:

“A mistake constantly made by those who should know better is to judge people of the past by our standards rather than their own. The only way men or women can be judged is against the canvas of their own time.”

In all my years in front of my classes I constantly reminded myself, and my students, that judgment is best left in its own day and age and Mr. L’Amour certainly said it most eloquently.
Another Time and Place


3 comments:

Seriously Though said...

If this was facebook, I'd click the thumbs up button. This is true not only when looking back at different eras of history, but also my life. Decisions I made years ago weren't made in a vacuum. Still, I look back and think, man that was stupid!

Neil A. Waring said...

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this post. It seemed right at the time but . . . .

Oscar Case said...

Haven't read Wandering Man yet, but sounds like good advice.