Saturday, December 18, 2010

Favorite Western Movies

In just a few days the new version of True Grit opens. Will it be a winner or just another western that today’s audiences don’t like? Fifty years ago nearly everything on Television was some kind of western series and many feature films were westerns. Did too much cowboy time on TV kill the western? Twenty-nine series westerns in 1959 –Over exposure, maybe! And maybe that is what killed the big budget westerns on the silver screen. There have been some exceptions but for the most part westerns, of today, are marginal hits at best.
Maybe westerns don’t lend themselves to enough special effects and big screen tricks to keep today’s young viewers in their seats.
Or likely we oldsters don’t go to the theater enough.
Just for fun here is a list of my favorite westerns (some well know some a little more obscure) – not in order just my top 15.
What are your favorites?
Here is my list.
1. Open Range
2. 3-10 to Yuma
3. The outlaw Josie Wales
4. Winchester 73
5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
6. The Shadow Riders
7. Last of the Dogmen
8. Jeremiah Johnson
9. Dances With Wolves
10. Stage Coach
11. Unforgiven
12. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
13. Rio Bravo
14. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
15. Ride the High Country

5 comments:

Seriously Though said...

my favorite is Pale Rider probably, I also like High Plains Drifter. I don't like any about Wyatt Earp because it's true and seriously sad, sad. I did enjoy the John Wayne True Grit and can't wait to go see the new one!

Oscar Case said...

Didn't care for Dances with Wolves and didn't see Dogmen. Liked the others.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Some great choices but I must admit Dances with Wolves does bore me these days. Though I loved it on first viewing. Good to see you including Treasure of Sierra Madre as a western - excellent/

Neil A. Waring said...

I too am boared today with "Dances With Wolves" but when it first came out I loved it.
Gary and Jack, I really like Bolgart - even if it was 1925 Mexico.

Neil A. Waring said...

Sorry Gary forgot you were one guy not two.